1. Chickpeas have an impressive nutrition profile.
They contain a moderate amount of calories, providing 46 calories per 1-ounce (28-gram) serving.
Approximately 67% of those calories are from carbs, while the rest comes from protein and a small amount of fat.
Chickpeas also provide a variety of vitamins and minerals, as well as a decent amount of fiber and protein
A 1-ounce (28-gram) serving provides the following nutrients:
• Calories: 46
• Carbs: 8 grams
• Fiber: 2 grams
• Protein: 3 grams
• Folate: 12% of the RDI
• Iron: 4% of the RDI
• Phosphorus: 5% of the RDI
• Copper: 5% of the RDI
• Manganese: 14% of the RDI
2. Rich in Plant-Based Protein
Chickpeas are an excellent source of protein, which has a variety of health benefits, ranging from weight management to bone health. They are a great choice for individuals who avoid animal products.
3. Support Blood Sugar Control
Chickpeas have several properties that may help manage your blood sugar levels.
• First, they have a fairly low glycemic index (GI), which is a marker of how rapidly your blood sugar rises after eating a food.
• Second, chickpeas are a good source of fiber and protein, which are both known for their role in blood sugar regulation.
• This is because fiber slows carbs absorption, which promotes a steady rise in blood sugar levels, rather than a spike. Also, eating protein-rich foods may help maintain healthy blood sugar levels in individuals with type 2 diabetes.
• In one study, 19 people who ate a meal that contained 200 grams of chickpeas had a 21% reduction in blood sugar levels, compared to when they ate a meal that contained whole-grain cereal or white bread.
4. May Benefit Digestion
Chickpeas are high in fiber, which benefits your digestion by increasing the number of healthy bacteria in your gut and helping waste flow efficiently through your digestive tract.
5. May Help You Manage Your Weight
Chickpeas contain a moderate amount of calories and are high in fiber and protein, all properties that play a role in weight management.
Chickpeas are a very healthy food.
They are high in vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein. These characteristics are responsible for most of their health benefits, which range from weight management to blood sugar control.
Including chickpeas in your diet regularly will support your health and may reduce your risk of developing chronic diseases, such as heart disease and cancer.
They’re affordable and easy to find at most grocery stores. You can include them in various dishes, and they make an excellent meat alternative in vegetarian and vegan meals.
Furthermore, chickpeas are delicious and certainly worth including in your diet if you want to reap their health benefits.
Written by Admin